howler baby video

Thursday, October 8, 2009

forward motion

Today has been a day of great accomplishments. We incorporated Costa Rica Wildlife Conservation and are well on our way towards 501c3 status.
Once upon a time, I was walking in a forest in Costa Rica and I heard a loud grunt. I was accompanied by my then tica girlfriend who was not as familiar with the forest as me. As I often do, I got ahead of her on the trail, anxious to get back to lunch and see more wildlife. A few minutes after the grunt, I heard a glass-breaking scream...it was my tica girlfriend and she had come face to face with a wild pig. Apparently, she didn't share my curiousity for the beast and it scared the wits out of her. I came running, but it was gone by the time I got to her. She was somewhat beside herself for the rest of the day, but I couldn't help laughing at the whole experience. It was kind of like nature had told us: "here I am, staring you in the face. What are you gonna do about it?"

My girlfriend's answer was to RUN! My was to ponder. On the way back to the town, I spotted a sloth meditating on the branch of a large tree. I knew he meant me no harm and I assume the feeling was mutual. I just stared at him for minutes wondering what it must be like to be such a slow-moving Zen-like creature watching the packs of ants and humans below on the busy way.

So what are you gonna do about it?

I now know the answer to that question. It is called Costa Rica Wildlife Conservation. I hope the sloth and the pig are listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment